The Gaia group at ICCUB is seeking a candidate to cover a technical support position to the data archive for the Gaia mission.
We are looking for highly motivated candidates holding a University Degree. The chosen candidate will join a multidisciplinary team of astronomers and engineers working in Gaia Data Archive. Gaia is a mission of the European Space Agency (ESA) that is mapping the Galaxy. His/Her work will be giving support to the data archive with the implementation and execution of the validation tests of the data. He/She will be in charge of implementing the validation algorithms in Java, integrate the code in the Gaia validation framework, the control of the code execution and the extraction and analysis of the results in close cooperation with the scientist of the team. He/She will also be in charge of the development and maintenance of the Gaia simulator that provides the big scale simulations to the rest of the coordination units of Gaia.
The job requires:
· Good level of English (both written and spoken)
· Good programming skills (especially in Java and Python)
· Knowledge of Linuz/Bash and shell scripting
· Ability to communicate and document
· Familiarity with large teams work
Will be positively evaluated:
· Degree in physics or engineering
· Knowledge of HTML and PHP
· Familiarity with LaTex for documentation, SubVersion and GNUplot.
· Familiarity with Space research
· Spanish and Catalan are plus.
We will do a short test of the necessary skills.
The contract will begin in January 2017 for a year.
Gross salary: 26.000€.
Contact Person: Lola Balaguer – email: firstname.lastname@example.org